What is cleansing prayer?
At Dare to Believe Ministries we often pray a “cleansing prayer” with our team after ministry. Sometimes we are asked to clarify why we do this. What does the Bible say about cleansing prayers? Are cleansing prayers essential after praying with someone for healing or deliverance?
Importance of prayer
Prayer has an extremely high value. We pray before, during and after ministry, humbling ourselves before the Lord to ask for what we need. We give thanks and praise to the One Who is the Deliverer and pray for greater anointing, deeper faith, humility, and for release of the captives.
Good spiritual hygiene
It’s like good spiritual hygiene. You don’t have to pray a cleansing prayer, but the benefits are worth it. You may wish to use your favorite cleansing prayer to assist you and your team in observance in this extra step to stay spiritually “dirt-free.”
We believe that both prayer and faith are essential to ministry; a particular rote cleansing prayer is not.
These Biblical truths are foundational to an effective cleansing prayer:
- Jesus has overcome the enemy.
- God’s Holy Spirit lives in all believers.
- Jesus offers us His authority to help people.
Spiritual warfare is a real aspect of human existence. It is especially evident for those who choose to partner with God’s kingdom here on earth. Spiritual attacks include everything from temptation to the daily trials of living in a fallen world, to a more intense season of attack on your identity and well-being.
At all times, remember that God is always good.
Our first response should be to turn to Jesus with rejoicing and to share in His pleasure and joy. As we humble ourselves in praise and gratitude for the privilege of participating in His ministry, we remember that our success is all by His grace. He promised, “Nothing will harm you.”
Purpose of a cleansing prayer
The purpose of a cleansing prayer at Dare to Believe Ministries is to remind the spiritual realm and the prayer ministers that Jesus overcame the enemy, it is a finished work. Jesus is, of course, our true model. He trusted the Father in all things.
Our attitudes are to be the same as His.
Because of Jesus, unclean spirits have no right to attached themselves to a person because of ministry.
We know that unclean spirits tend to look for opportunity to cause problems.
These prayers are a spiritual reminder to us and the spiritual realm that we carry the authority Jesus gives us.
Prayer expresses faith, deepens faith and releases the power of faith A cleansing prayer that is effective expresses your faith and draws you closer to God.
We should not give the devil too much attention or become preoccupied about the works of the enemy. Nor should we be awed by the manifestation of evil in a person’s life. This can give the enemy an advantage. Rather, we should keep our eyes on Jesus and His work of redemption.
Sample cleansing prayer
1. Thank you, Jesus, for allowing us to do this ministry. We take the authority You give us and command anything ungodly that might be hanging around this team or the person we are ministering to – to be silent and go – immediately and permanently in Jesus’ Name!
2. Holy Spirit – thank you that You fill us when we ask! Please come and fill us all (optional: name team members here).
3. We declare no retaliation against us (optional to name team members here) and anyone or anything that the Lord has put in our lives.
4. Thank you, Lord, that as we keep our eyes on You, You lead us and protect us. Amen!
Foundation in Scripture
When we look at Scripture for clarity, we see these truths:
- Christ is in you (Col 1:27)
- You have the authority of the children of God (John 1:12)
- You have been given faith to quench all the flaming darts of the enemy (Eph 6:16)
- If He sends you, nothing will harm you (Luke 10:19)
- The Lord will strengthen you and guard you from evil (2 Thessalonians 3:3)
Here are some other helpful Scriptures that address cleansing:
- 2 Corinthians 7:1 – “Since we have these promises, dear friends, let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates the body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God.”
- 1 John 1:9 – “If we confess our sins, God is faithful to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- James 4:8 – “…if we draw near to Him, He will draw near to us.”
- Psalm 139:23-24 – “Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.”
- Psalm 51:10 – “Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.”
- Psalm 51:7 – “Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.”
- 2 Timothy 2:20-21 – “In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work.”
- Romans 10:9 – “If we confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord, we will be saved. We will become clean.”